In 1910, Belair Market was a small produce stand in downtown Baltimore, owned and operated by Maurice “Mollie” Berman. Fast-forward 108 years, and we’re still serving the finest, freshest produce in the area. Here’s how we got here.
Maurice’s son, C. Nelson Berman, Sr., started working with his dad at the stand in high school. He became president of the company in the 1950s when his father retired. As the nifty 50s came to a close, retail produce operations across the country were beginning to feel competition from the change in the public’s shopping habits. Nelson stayed ahead of the curve, transforming Belair Market into a wholesale operation and changing our name to Belair Produce in 1961. We supplied fresh produce to ships in port, restaurants, hospitals, foodservice institutions and clubs. Upon his retirement in 1982, Nelson’s son Buzz took over as president of Belair. Under the leadership of the third generation of Bermans, we’ve doubled our business.